Walterboro Water Tower – Walterboro, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Colleton County Photos | Walterboro Water Tower
The Walterboro Water Tower is a standpipe tower located on the corner of Memorial Avenue and Washington Street in historic downtown Walterboro.
Completed in 1915, this 133-foot tower provides the city with 100,000 gallons of water — it also serves as one of Colleton County‘s most interesting landmarks. This tower, the Belton Standpipe in Anderson County, and the standpipe in Allendale are the only standpipe towers in the state. The lower portion of the tower was used as the city’s jail for a short time in the early 1900s. Later, the jail cells were offered to stranded travelers in need of a place to stay for the night.
The water tower is included in the Walterboro Historic District, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
SCIWAY thanks Becky Morehead of Walterboro for sharing this picture she took in January 2010.