Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church – Summerton, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Clarendon County Photos | Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church
The Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church is located on Granby Lane, just off of US 301 east of Summerton. The church serves a large congregation in the Summerton and surrounding areas.
After the Civil War and the freeing of the slaves, African-Americans were given the opportunity to worship as they pleased, but many in this area had no place to worship. The freed slaves began holding services under what was called a “Bush Arbor” up until the year 1885, when the white Baptist owners of this building offered to sell them this church, which was severely damaged by a fire and in need of repair. The local African-American Baptists bought this building and land on March 23, 1885 for $400.
Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church received its historical roadside marker in 1992. Learn more about Taw Caw here.
SCIWAY thanks Michael Stroud of Bluffton for submitting this photograph and historical information.
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.