Limestone College – Gaffney, South Carolina

South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Cherokee County Photos  |  Limestone College

Limestone College in Gaffney was established in 1845, and was the first women’s college in South Carolina. Dr. Thomas Curtis and his son William from England founded the school in order to provide an education to those who normally wouldn’t receive one. During the late 1960s the school began accepting male students.

Josh Crotzer of Gaffney © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Josh Crotzer, who is Limestone’s Director of Communications, found the picture above in the college’s files.

This building above is the Winnie Davis Hall of History. The structure was completed in 1904, and is named after the daughter of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Its original purpose was to promote the study of Southern history and literature.

Josh writes: “This building is often called the crown jewel of the Limestone College campus. The violet glow of the sunset provides deceiving visual warmth to the 105-year old building, a stark and ironic contrast to the cold and empty darkness that has resided inside for over 30 years. Closed to students and the public since 1976, Winnie Davis Hall is currently under renovation. Upon completion, it will be home to a history and arts museum and state-of-art classrooms, all while retaining its unique and historic architecture.”

Limestone College

Rodger Painter of Gaffney, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The picture above is of the Lighting of the Luminaries. It has become a Christmas holiday tradition practiced at Limestone College each year since 1984. When this picture was taken on December 4, 2010, a drizzle of rain didn’t dampen the spirits of students and citizen volunteers who lit some 10,000 candles placed in sand inside white paper bags. The luminaries, which have become a popular drive-by event, shined brightly around the college campus, along College Drive and on several other Gaffney streets all the way to the doorways of Gaffney City Hall.

Limestone College Info

Address: 1115 College Drive, Gaffney, SC 29340

Limestone College Map

Limestone College – Add Info and More Photos

The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Limestone College, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!

If You Don't Have a Facebook Account, Please Comment Below

One Comment about Limestone College

Luella TaylorNo Gravatar says:
September 20th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

My great, great grandmother attended Limestone College in the 1860s. Her name was Zulia Durham from Shelby, N.C. Does anyone have any pictures of that period or any records of her attendance? I like your site.

Related Pages

USC School of Medicine

Bishop William Wallace Duncan House

Wofford College
Wofford College

Converse College  Carnegie Library

College of Nursing at MUSC

St. Luke’s Chapel

Waring Historical Library

Midlands Technical College

Keitt House
Keitt House


August Calendar
Add New Info
Add New Pictures
Our 5 Goals


Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns & Farms Barnwell Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historic Houses Historic Photos Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johnsonville Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lakes Lancaster Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mt. Carmel Mt. Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Restaurants Ridgeway Rivers Robert Mills Rock Hill Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2015, LLC All rights reserved.