Wando River Swing Bridge – Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Charleston County Photos | Wando River Swing Bridge
Charleston and Berkeley counties are connected by this through truss swing bridge on South Carolina Highway 41. Crossing the Wando River, the bridge was built in 1939 and opens manually for boat traffic. A 2012 inspection deemed the bridge “structurally deficient,” and the United States Coast Guard and the South Carolina Department of Transportation have determined that the bridge will be replaced with a 55-foot-tall connector by 2016.
Plans for the new bridge have been met with controversy. Mount Pleasant town council unanimously rejected designs for any bridge exceeding 35 feet, and United States Representative Mark Sanford has admonished the plans, citing its height as unnecessary and costly.
The estimated cost of the new bridge is $30 million. Residents and conservation groups also fear that the tall bridge will lead to development on the upper Wando River. The swing bridge currently receives just over 3,000 cars per day.
Moveable Bridges in South Carolina
These are the only moveable bridges left in our state:
1) Harbor River Bridge – US 21 over the Harbor River – Swing bridge
2) Woods Memorial Bridge – US 21 Business over the Beaufort River – Swing bridge
3) Wando River Bridge – SC 41 over the Wando River – Scheduled to be replaced by a fixed-span bridge in 2016
4) Wappoo Creek Bridge – SC 171 – Drawbridge
5) Ben Sawyer Bridge – SC 703 over the Intracoastal Waterway – Swing bridge
6) Little River Swing Bridge – County Road 26-20
7) Socastee Swing Bridge – SC 544 (Dick Pond Road)
8-9) Ashley River Bridges – US 17 over the Ashley River – Two side-by-side drawbridges
10) Sixth Street Bridge – railroad over the Savannah River – Drawbridge (no longer functioning)
Wando River Swing Bridge Info
Address: South Carolina Highway 41, Mount Pleasant, SC 29466
GPS Coordinates: 32.923557,-79.826105
Wando River Swing Bridge Map
Wando River Swing Bridge Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Wando River Swing Bridge, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
St. Helena Island
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.