Sullivan’s Island – Charleston County, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Charleston County Photos | Sullivan’s Island
Just across the Intracoastal Waterway from Mount Pleasant is serene Sullivan’s Island. This largely residential island is home to famous Fort Moultrie, and is an integral part of South Carolina history.
In 1776, a makeshift log fort located at the tip of Sullivan’s Island defeated British troops who were trying to enter Charleston’s harbor. The spongy palmetto logs used to build this fort deflected the barrage of British cannon balls and were the key to its success. The fort was eventually named Fort Moultrie after Colonel Moultrie who led the attack against the British. After this battle the palmetto tree became the centerpiece of South Carolina’s state flag.
Today, Sullivan’s Island is mainly residential with a small, but lively, downtown area that has many restaurants and bars. Historic Charleston is the largest city nearby and is just a short drive away.
SCIWAY thanks photographer Wendy Mogul of Angel Photo who took this picture of Sullivan’s Island.
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.