Constructed in 1833, the building’s original purpose was for the care of sick and disabled seamen. After the Civil War, it became a school for African-American children, and from 1895-1937 it was the home of Jenkins Orphanage. A fire in 1937 severely damaged the building, and the orphanage moved to its current location along the Ashley River.
SCIWAY thanks the Jenkins Institute for Children for allowing us to use this historic photo.
Learn more about Jenkins Institute for Children by visiting the official website.
Read our article: Orphanage Band Instrumental in Jenkins’ Past and Future.