Eternal Father of the Sea – North Charleston, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Charleston County Photos | Eternal Father of the Sea
The Charleston Navy Yard overlooking the Cooper River in North Charleston began operations in 1903 and continued throughout the twentieth century, officially closing in 1996. The chapel that served navy personnel as well as local civilians, Eternal Father of the Sea, was built in 1942 during World War II. The war expanded the navy yard’s work force dramatically – from around 2,000 prior to the war to 25,948 in 1943. As a result, the chapel was expanded in 1944.
The photo above shows the Eternal Father of the Sea chapel after its restoration and relocation.
The non-denominational chapel held services for Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish sailors and their families. Because such a large number of American soldiers were deployed during the war, many weddings were officiated at the chapel, along with “Thanksgiving Services” when ships returned.
The old chapel deteriorated during the decades after the Charleston Navy Base closed.
The last military service was held here on September 3, 1995. During this service, a time capsule was opened that had been placed in the chapel’s corner stone. Inside the box were a Holy Bible, Prayer Book for Soldiers and Sailors, Army-Navy Service Book, Service Prayer Book, Army-Navy Hymnal, 41 pennies, and four dimes. The books had water damage, thought to be the result of Hurricane Hugo in 1989.
Taken from the rear, this photo shows the chapel during its restoration.
In 1998 a new congregation – God’s True Deliverance Church – made use of the sanctuary, remaining here until 2004. The building was then used as a performance venue for the North Charleston Arts Festival until extensive termite damage halted its use in 2005.
Another shot of the restoration process
In 2006 the City of North Charleston initiated plans to restore the building and the following year spent $143,890 on repairs. The city relocated the chapel about a mile from its original site on North Hobson Avenue some time in 2015 to make room for a railway. It now sits amid the former officers’ housing. Restoration continued following the chapel’s move, including the removal of original features such as doors, windows, and light fixtures for preservation during the process. Also, the chapel was enlarged to meet code requirements, and restrooms and dressing rooms were added for weddings, modernizing the historic building for future use. The results of the project can be seen in the above photo and at the top of the page.
Another post-restoration shot, showing the chapel at its new location near the Historic Officers’ Quarters District.
Eternal Father of the Sea Info
Address: 1097 Navy Way, North Charleston, SC 29405
Eternal Father of the Sea Map
Eternal Father of the Sea Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Eternal Father of the Sea, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!