Emanuel AME Church – Charleston, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Charleston County Photos | Emanuel AME Church
SCIWAY offers our prayers and heartfelt condolences to the congregation of Emanuel AME Church following the June 2015 fatal shooting of nine church members, including the Reverend Clementa Pinckney. Other members lost in the tragedy were Cynthia Hurd, Susie Jackson, Ethel Lance, the Reverend DePayne Middleton Doctor, Tywanza Sanders, the Reverend Daniel Simmons, the Reverend Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, and Myra Thompson.
Overview of Emanuel AME Church
The Gothic Revival building that houses Emanuel AME Church in Charleston is a testament to the determination of the church’s founders and its early congregation. The present-day structure with its signature steeple was built in 1891, replacing an earlier wooden church from 1872 that was damaged in the Charleston Earthquake of 1886. Many of the brick and marble panels were restored between 1949 and 1951.
The origin of Emanuel AME dates to 1816, when Morris Brown organized a withdrawal of the Charleston Methodist Episcopal Church’s black members over a burial ground dispute. The newly-formed congregation quickly established themselves as an African Methodist Episcopal church, a denomination that was founded earlier in Philadelphia.
Brown was eventually jailed for violating laws restricting free and enslaved blacks from holding religious gatherings without white supervision. After the first incarnation of the church was burned under a cloud of suspicion over a suspected slave uprising, the congregation continued to worship until 1834, when all-black churches were officially outlawed. After a period of underground worship, the church formally reorganized publicly in 1865 and adopted the Hebrew name Emanuel, meaning “God is with us.”
The church is the oldest AME church in the South and one of the oldest black congregations south of Baltimore, Maryland.
History of Emanuel AME Church
Emanuel AME Church in Charleston has a long history of freedom, slavery, rebellion, and peace. The church began as an outgrowth of the Free African Society, formed in Philadelphia in 1787, and was originally comprised of both slaves and free blacks. In 1816, the year the AME denomination was formed, black members of Charleston’s Methodist Episcopal Church left over a dispute regarding burial grounds and joined the new African Methodist Episcopal (AME) denomination.
The new AME church met in the Hampstead suburb (Charleston’s French Quarter) and was known as Bethel because it was one of three AME churches on the Bethel Circuit. The new church was led by Reverend Morris Brown, himself a free black.
The church burned in 1822 after a planned slave insurrection known as the Denmark Vesey conspiracy was discovered. The church was the suspected meeting place for the planning of the rebellion. Though Reverend Brown was acquitted of conspiracy in the plot, he nonetheless was forced out of South Carolina. Former slave Denmark Vesey, the conspiracy’s architect, was not as fortunate. He had been a founder and active member of the church and was convicted of using his skills as a religious leader to encourage slaves and free blacks to join the uprising. Vesey was kept in Charleston’s City Jail until he was hanged, along with 36 of his co-conspirators.
Though the church rebuilt, it was forced to close in 1834 due to a new law prohibiting any black person – free or enslaved – to worship without the oversight of whites. Fear of future slave revolts had gripped the city, and many residents erected iron spikes along their gates – known as chevaux-de-frise – to prevent rebelling blacks from entering their homes. An example of the ironwork remains at 27 King Street.
However, members of the AME church continued to congregate; they met secretly and illegally until the end of the Civil War. Once blacks were permitted to organize their own churches in 1865, the church was reborn as Emanuel AME Church. The first church under this new name was built in 1872 at the current site, yet was severely marred in the great earthquake of 1886. The present Gothic Revival building replaced the damaged church in 1891 and was restored and stuccoed in 1949. Emanuel AME is known as the oldest AME church in the south.
Emanuel AME Church Memorials
Following the tragic shooting of nine church members – including the church’s minister, the Reverend Clementa Picnkney, also a South Carolina state senator – on June 17, 2015, people from all over the globe have expressed their love, grief, and support by leaving memorials outside of the church.
Those who wished to leave thoughts and prayers for others to read simply left messages on a tree outside the church, seen below. Several of the donated objects are in the process of being archived for the church by volunteers from the Charleston Archives, Libraries and Museums Council. Pieces of art, sculpture, flowers, and notes are among the many items given to the church as a sign of support from mourners.
Two months after the shooting, the entrance of the church is still flanked with new memorials. Each day people arrive at Emanuel AME to pay their respects to the victims, their families, the parishioners, and the church itself.
Emanuel AME Church Info
Address: 110 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401
Emanuel AME Church Map
Emanuel AME Church Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Emanuel AME Church, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!