Circular Congregational Church – Charleston, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Charleston County Photos | Circular Congregational Church
The Independent or Circular Congregational Church – originally called the White Meeting House – was founded around 1681 by a group of Charleston‘s earliest colonists. Its congregation comprised the city’s first non-Anglican church. Because members did not adhere to the Church of England, they were considered “dissenters” and forbidden to label their place of worship a church – only a meeting house.
The group included English Congregationalists, French Huguenots, and Scottish Presbyterians. The road leading to their meeting house was first known as Meeting House Street and is now known simply as Meeting Street, which remains one of downtown Charleston’s primary arteries. The church also included African-Americans, both free and enslaved, who worshiped here until forming their own church, Plymouth Congregational Church, in 1867.
In 1804, renowned architect Robert Mills designed a circular building made of bricks to replace the old wooden meeting house. That building was destroyed by a fire at the beginning of the Civil War, but in 1890 the bricks from the ruins were used to create the present church. The churchyard at Circular Congregational is the oldest in the city.
The Circular Congregational Church is listed in the National Register, which says the following,
Built circa 1892 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the Circular Congregational Church is not truly circular as its name implies, but a more complex form like a clover leaf or “club” in a deck of cards. This form has four parts, three of which are semi-circular and the fourth rectangular. The clover leaf form contains the high, main auditorium. The rectangular “stem” is divided horizontally into two stories. The lower part is a rectangular meeting room and the upper part is a balcony overlooking the auditorium. The balcony is reached by a winding stair in an octagonal tower which is expressed on the exterior of the building. This is the third church to be built on these grounds. The word “circular” in the name of the church comes from an earlier building on the site by Robert Mills. The Parish House is a good example of a Greek Revival Temple form with one high story over a lower open arcade. Tetrastyle Tuscan columns support the Doric style entablature and pediment. Church services were held in the Parish House during the interim between the building of the first and second church.
Reflections on Circular Congregational Church
Many thanks to Diane Yale-Peabody of Amherst, Ohio, who took the photo above. Diane writes, “This back view of the church was taken from the cemetery in July 2005. Downtown historic Charleston can almost be traversed from one cemetery to another. This one is the oldest in the city, with one tombstone dating to 1690. The cemeteries are quiet places of beauty, not only for their intricate and curiously carved stones, but also for the overgrown paths and crepe myrtle trees. The cemeteries can also spark an interest in the city’s history. For example, those rows of children’s graves with dates spread over a few months are a poignant remembrance of the yellow fever epidemics that swept the South.”
Circular Congregational Church Info
Address: 150 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401
Circular Congregational Church Map
Circular Congregational Church Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Circular Congregational Church, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.