Charleston Battery – Charleston, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Charleston County Photos | Charleston Battery
With its scenic promenade and historic park, the Battery is easily one of downtown Charleston‘s most beloved spots. The Battery is a fortified seawall at the southernmost tip of the Charleston peninsula, where the Cooper River and Ashley River meet.
This strategic point was very important to the early history of Charleston. In 1737, Broughton’s Battery (later known as Fort Wilkins) was built here and was in service until 1780s. The seawall pictured here was built during the 1750s using large boulders, stone, and masonry. Broughton’s Battery was decommissioned and demolished in 1789, but when the wall and its promenade were completed in the 1820s it was still commonly called the Battery.
However, the centerpiece of the Battery is White Point Gardens, which received its name from the huge piles of bleached oyster shells that originally covered the ground.
White Point Gardens has large, shady oak trees and oyster shell pathways that take visitors by statues, cannons, and memorials. A lovely, gazebo-like bandstand sits in the middle of the park.