Ashley River Bridges – Charleston, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Charleston County Photos | Ashley River Bridges
The historic Ashley River Bridges cross the Ashley River in Charleston. The first bridge, pictured on the left, opened in 1926 and is dedicated to South Carolina’s deceased soldiers from World War I. It is known as the Ashley River Memorial Bridge and is one of four remaining drawbridges in our state.
The second bridge, on the right, is also a drawbridge and was added in the 1960s to accommodate the growing traffic traveling between the Charleston peninsula and West Ashley.
Moveable Bridges in South Carolina
These are the only moveable bridges left in our state:
1) Harbor River Bridge – US 21 over the Harbor River – Swing bridge
2) Woods Memorial Bridge – US 21 Business over the Beaufort River – Swing bridge
3) Wando River Bridge – SC 41 over the Wando River – Scheduled to be replaced by a fixed-span bridge in 2016
4) Wappoo Creek Bridge – SC 171 – Drawbridge
5) Ben Sawyer Bridge – SC 703 over the Intracoastal Waterway – Swing bridge
6) Little River Swing Bridge – County Road 26-20
7) Socastee Swing Bridge – SC 544 (Dick Pond Road)
8-9) Ashley River Bridges – US 17 over the Ashley River – Two side-by-side drawbridges
10) Sixth Street Bridge – railroad over the Savannah River – Drawbridge (no longer functioning)
Do you have a picture of one of these bridges? Please send it to us!
Ashley River Bridges Map
Ashley River Bridges Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Ashley River Bridges, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.