Banks Home – St. Matthews, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Calhoun County Photos | Banks Home
The stately Banks Home, located within the town limits of St. Matthews, is seen here blanketed by a rare snowfall in February of 2010.
The house was built by Colonel James Arthur Banks, Sr. in 1893. Around 1909, the large Corinthian columns and the smaller columns on the porch were added. They were designed with Ionic capitals and supported a decorated frieze, both examples of Classic Revival architecture.
In the early 19th century, Colonel Banks was prominent as a civic leader in South Carolina‘s Midlands region. During his lifetime he was President of the Home Bank, President of the State Fair Association, and Mayor of St. Matthews. He was also elected to both the SC State House and Senate.
The house is listed on the National Register Properties in South Carolina.
SCIWAY thanks Richard Kline, the current owner of the Banks Home, for sharing this photo and and for providing the background information.
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.