Lake Moultrie – Berkeley County, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Berkeley County Photos | Lake Moultrie
The evening sets over Lake Moultrie in Berkeley County. Named for governor and Revolutionary War hero William Moultrie, the lake was created in the early 1940s by Santee-Cooper. It covers 60,400 acres of land and is 14 miles across at its widest point.
The lake is famous for its fish, having produced several world records. Because Lake Moultrie doesn’t ice over during the winter, it is a favorite year-round destination for fishers. You can access the lake through public boat ramps or by the Palmetto Trail, which winds around the lake’s dike system.
Lake Moultrie is connected to its neighbor Lake Marion by the Diversion Canal. Many visitors enjoy Lake Moultrie by picnicking at scenic Overton Park, or hiking and biking in the Sandy Beach Wildlife Management Area.
Though now widely enjoyed, Lake Moultrie was once the site of much heartache. All told, its construction destroyed at least 40 historic sites and a dozen churches.
The area of Lake Moultrie known as Somerset Point is a park and reserve for Santee-Cooper employees. It also includes a campground and fishing access. The park is likely named for Somerset Plantation, a former Pinopolis home that once stood near this spot but was submerged when Lake Moultrie was built.
The land on which Somerset Plantation sat was originally owned by the first Baptist minister to South Carolina, Reverend William Screven, who arrived from Maine in 1696.
He named the property after his birthplace in England and received it as a grant from John Stuart, original owner of Wampee Plantation. Somerset Plantation was subdivided from Wampee.
Atkins Landing provides lake denizens another boat landing where one can fish, swim, camp, or just enjoy the beautiful view.
Donnie Smith © Do Not Use Without Written Consent