Zion Chapel of Ease – Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Beaufort County Photos | Zion Chapel of Ease
The cemetery with its historic Baynard Mausoleum is all that remains of the Zion Chapel of Ease on Hilton Head Island. The chapel was built around 1786 as part of the Episcopal St. Luke’s Parish, which was established in 1767 and included what are now Hilton Head Island and Bluffton. The Zion Chapel of Ease was built to accomodate islanders who were inconvenienced by boat travel to the parish’s primary church, St. Luke’s, on the mainland (Bluffton).
Within the cemetery are the remains of four Revolutionary War patriots, including Charles Devant, who was ambushed and killed near this site by Captain Martinangel’s Royalist militia in 1781.
Members of the local William E. Baynard family were once interred in the mausoleum, but their remains have since been moved. The mausoleum was built in 1846 and is the oldest remaining structure on Hilton Head Island.
The grounds of the Zion Chapel of Ease and cemetery sit along Mathews Drive, named for the chapel’s first permanent priest. Reverend Philip Mathews arrived to the island in 1811 and served as the St. Luke’s Parish rector until 1828.
Union troops occupied the area during the Civil War in 1862, including the chapel, and residents were forced to flee to the mainland. By 1868, nothing of the Zion Chapel of Ease remained other than its cemetery.
Zion Chapel of Ease Info
Address: Mathews Drive, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
Zion Chapel of Ease Map
Zion Chapel of Ease Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Zion Chapel of Ease, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!