Woods Memorial Bridge – Beaufort, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Beaufort County Photos | Woods Memorial Bridge
The Woods Memorial Bridge is one of Beaufort‘s most notable landmarks. This swing bridge is one of just nine moveable bridges left in South Carolina. It opens hourly for boats and barges traveling the Intracoastal Waterway.
A second view of the bridge, shown below, was taken from the Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park, a newly-renovated area along Beaufort’s riverfront. Draped with shady oaks, it provides a beautiful place for passersby to relax on riverside swings, play a game of Frisbee, listen to a concert, watch an outdoor movie, or enjoy a meal at one of the many nearby restaurants.
Cannon Park, pictured below, is near the north end of the Woods Memorial Bridge. This small park is adorned with flowers, and visitors enjoy relaxing on benches and watching boats pass beneath the bridge. Cannon Park is only a few steps from downtown shops, and it is treasured by many locals.
These are the only moveable bridges left in our state:
- Harbor River Bridge – US 21 over the Harbor River – Swing bridge
- Woods Memorial Bridge – US 21 Business over the Beaufort River – Swing bridge
- Wando River Bridge – SC 41 over the Wando River – Currently a swing bridge but may be replaced as early as 2014
- Wappoo Creek Bridge – SC 171 – Drawbridge
- Ashley River Memorial Bridges – US 17 over the Ashley River – Two side-by-side drawbridges, pictured here
- Ben Sawyer Bridge – SC 703 over the Intracoastal Waterway – Swing bridge
- Little River Swing Bridge – County Road 26-20
- Socastee Swing Bridge – County Road 26-616
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.