Old Sheldon Church Ruins – Yemassee, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Beaufort County Photos | Old Sheldon Church Ruins
The Old Sheldon Church, formerly known as the Prince William Parish Church, has had a tumultuous and eventful history. From its first service in 1757 to its present peaceful setting, the church has followed the travails of our region’s history.
© Dr. Pat Paxton of Aiken (2012)
Originally organized and funded in the 1740s and 50s by William Bull, whose Newberry Plantation bordered the church grounds, the church was set on fire during the Revolutionary War. It was then rebuilt from the remaining walls in 1826.
Common knowledge states that on January 14, 1865, Sherman’s troops burned the church a second time, as part of the “March to the Sea” campaign. While the walls still refused to fall, it was never to be repaired again.
However, another possible fate has come to light. In a letter dated February 3, 1866, after the end of the Civil War, Milton Leverett wrote that “Sheldon Church not burn’t. Just torn up in the inside, but can be repaired.” The inside of the church was apparently gutted by whites and blacks who needed the materials to rebuild their homes burned by Sherman’s army. This information comes from “The Leverett Letters,” published by the University of South Carolina Press and can be found on pages 403 and 405.
© Chad McMeen of Yemassee (2009)
Directions to the site:
The Sheldon Church ruins are located on Sheldon Church Road between Gardens Corner and Yemassee. Coming from Beaufort on US 21 North, as you approach the intersection of US 17 at Gardens Corner, bear left, continue through the stop sign and go about 1/4 mile. Turn right onto Sheldon Church Road, which is directly across from Bull Point Plantation. Go about two miles and you’ll see the ruins on the right side of the road.
© Glen Bates of Batesburg (2006)
This tablet located at the Old Sheldon Church reads: “Church of Prince William’s Parish, known as Sheldon built between 1745-1755.Burned by the British Army 1779. Rebuilt 1826. Burned by the Federal Army 1865. Tablet placed by Columbia Committee South Carolina Society Colonial Dames of America 1937.”
Copyright: All images in the SC Picture Project remain the property of the photographer or artist.
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.
Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns Barnwell Beaufort Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Camden Charleston Cheraw Chester Churches Civil War Sites Clemson Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Denmark Depots Dillon Easley Edgefield Edisto Island Elloree Eutawville Florence Folly Beach Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Gowensville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hilton Head Historic Houses Historic Photos Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms James Island Kiawah Island Kingstree Lakes Lake View Lancaster Lexington Lighthouses Little River Manning McClellanville McCormick Mills Moncks Corner Mt Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ridgeway Rivers Rock Hill Saluda Savannah River Site SC Heroes of the Alamo Seneca Shrimp Boats Spartanburg St Matthews Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Town Clocks Trees Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Westminster Wildlife Winnsboro Yemassee
SCIWAY . . . "sky-way" . . . South Carolina's Information HighWAY
© 2013 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.