Milton Maxcy House – Beaufort, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Beaufort County Photos | Milton Maxcy House
The Milton Maxcy House, also known as the “Secession House,” was the scene of many meetings in Beaufort during the 1850s that advocated secession and Southern independence.
The house was built in 1810 for Milton Maxcy, who founded a school for young men in Beaufort and later was a teacher at Beaufort College. Edmund Rhett – lawyer, state representative, and state senator – bought the house in the 1850s and remodeled it in the Greek Revival style with a two-story portico.
Rhett was outspoken in support of state rights and led the meetings held here regarding South Carolina‘s secession. There is even an inscription on the basement wall that reads, In this house the first meeting of Secession was held in South Carolina.
Many thanks to Ester Fogle of Easley for submitting these pictures.