Harbor River Bridge – St. Helena Island, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Beaufort County Photos | Harbor River Bridge
Edit This Page | Leave A Comment
The Harbor River Bridge is a riveted through truss swing bridge spanning 2,851 feet over the Harbor River in Beaufort County. The bridge is part of the Sea Island Parkway (United States Highway 21) and connects St. Helena Island to Harbor Island.
The swing bridge was built in 1939 by the WPA (Work Projects Administration). The South Carolina Department of Transportation is planning to replace the bridge some time around 2017 with a fixed span bridge, noting that the only boats now passing beneath the bridge are a few privately owned boats and boats from the Gay Fish Company, which docks upstream of the bridge. The moveable bridge at the Harbor River has thus been rendered unnecessary.
Reflections on the Harbor River Bridge
Contributor Kathy Dickerson shares: “Our family spent a vacation week on Harbor Island off the coast of Beaufort, SC. This the draw bridge that separates the island from mainland. Beautiful island. Gorgeous views.”
Moveable Bridges in South Carolina
These are the only moveable bridges left in our state:
1) Harbor River Bridge – US 21 over the Harbor River – Swing bridge – Scheduled to be replaced by a fixed-span bridge around 2017
2) Woods Memorial Bridge – US 21 Business over the Beaufort River – Swing bridge
3) Wando River Bridge – SC 41 over the Wando River – Scheduled to be replaced by a fixed-span bridge in 2016
4) Wappoo Creek Bridge – SC 171 – Drawbridge
5) Ben Sawyer Bridge – SC 703 over the Intracoastal Waterway – Swing bridge
6) Little River Swing Bridge – County Road 26-20
7) Socastee Swing Bridge – SC 544 (Dick Pond Road)
8-9) Ashley River Bridges – US 17 over the Ashley River – Two side-by-side drawbridges
10) Sixth Street Bridge – railroad over the Savannah River – Drawbridge (no longer functioning)
Harbor River Bridge Info
Address: United States Highway 21, St. Helena Island, SC 29920
GPS Coordinates: 32.40479,-80.45436
Harbor River Bridge Map
Harbor River Bridge Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Harbor River Bridge, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
Harbor River Bridge - Related Entries
St. Helena Island
You may not use them in any form without written consent.