First Union African Baptist Church – Daufuskie Island, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Beaufort County Photos | First Union African Baptist Church
The church was built on the grounds of Mary Field Plantation, a former cotton plantation owned by John Stoddard. In the early 1880s, Stoddard divided the plantation into separate lots and sold 12 acres to freed slaves for the purpose of building a church and cemetery. The first church was constructed in 1881 and served the congregation until 1884, when it was destroyed by a fire. The current structure was completed in 1885 and continues to hold regular services.
Special thanks to Steven Smith for sharing this picture he took in 2010.