Barnwell Photos – Barnwell County, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Barnwell County Photos | Barnwell Photos
People began to settle in the City of Barnwell in the early 1800s. During this time it was known as ‘Red Hill’ until it was incorporated as a town in 1829. The town limits were just a three-quarter mile radius around the Barnwell County Courthouse, which is still considered the heart of the city today.
Barnwell’s famous sundial, located in front of the county courthouse, was a gift to the city in 1858 from state senator JD Allen. The sundial is one of a kind, and still keeps near perfect time after all these years.
Many thanks to Melissa and Jayme Roberts who captured these great pictures.