Woodburn – Pendleton, South Carolina

South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Anderson County Photos  |  Woodburn

Located in Pendleton, Woodburn Plantation is a gleaming example of a traditional plantation house. Constructed by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney in 1832, the house’s style reflects Pinckney’s Charleston upbringing.


Bill Fitzpatrick of Taylors © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Open for tours, Woodburn is listed in the National Register, which describes it as follows:

(Frank Place) Woodburn is significant historically, architecturally and culturally. It is an excellent example of an early nineteenth century plantation house. The house was believed to be built circa 1830 by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, son of Andrew Pinckney, an early SC Governor, statesman, and agriculturalist. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney graduated from Harvard University, studied law, but became a large planter, cultivating over 2,000 acres of rice on several plantations. He became SC Lieutenant Governor in 1833. The house reflects both the architecture of “Charleston type” houses constructed in the upcountry and Early Classical or Greek Revival stylistic influences. Many planters built summer homes in Pendleton to take advantage of open space and summer breezes. Woodburn, with its large rooms, extremely high ceilings, and central hallways, is typical of the Charleston influence that is part of Pendleton’s character. The house is four stories with two huge front porches, one directly above the other. Two double French doors open from both front drawing rooms. There are wide window and door moldings outside, deeply fluted with Greek key designs; the interior contains similar moldings containing the Federal star. There are nine fireplaces. On the second level a large porch extends across the back of the house, with a stair leading to a herringbone brick terrace below. Woodburn is situated on a promontory with a view of the countryside and mountains. The property also contains several outbuildings. The Reverend Dr. John B. Adger, a son of wealthy Charleston parents, enlarged Woodburn in the 1850s. Augustine Smyth, another early owner, created a model livestock farm, specializing in race horses and purebred cattle. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.

Many thanks to Bill Fitzpatrick of Taylors, for sending us his photo of Woodburn. Bill enjoys the singular distinction of being the only person ever to have visited all 1,400 of South Carolina’s National Historic Landmarks. He has published several helpful e-books which serve as invaluable travel guides to the Palmetto State.

Woodburn Info

Address: 130 History Lane, Pendleton, SC 29670
Website: http://www.pendletonhistoricfoundation.org/

Woodburn Map

Woodburn – Add Info and More Photos

The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Woodburn, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!

If You Don't Have a Facebook Account, Please Comment Below

Related Pages

Cassina Point Plantation

Settlemyer House

Erwin House
Erwin House

Paul H. Rogers House

Ashley Hall
Ashley Hall

John K. McIver House

Mango House

Haynsworth House
Haynsworth House

Ulmer-Summers House


Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns & Farms Barnwell Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historic Houses Historic Photos Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lakes Lancaster Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mt. Carmel Mt. Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeway Rivers Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2015 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.