Anderson County Arts Center – Anderson, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Anderson County Photos | Anderson County Arts Center
From 1883 through 1929, 2,509 libraries were built and made available to the public through funds granted by the Carnegie Foundation. The organization was formed in 1883 by business magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie and helped to establish libraries all over the world, including 1,689 in the United States. South Carolina established fourteen Carnegie libraries, five of which are still active. The Anderson County Arts Center in downtown Anderson was built as a Carnegie library in 1908 following the formation of the Anderson Library Association in 1900.
Prior to construction of the library, the Anderson Library Association met in City Hall. Members paid one dollar to belong to the society, and city council supported the project by granting $10 per month to the association. When the city received a grant of $17,500 from the Carnegie Foundation, it pledged to continue supporting the library with an annual appropriation of ten percent of the grant.
The Jennie Erwin Library in Honea Path also was built as a Carnegie library in 1908, making Anderson County the only county in South Carolina to have two Carnegie libraries. While the Jennie Erwin Library remains active within the Anderson County Library system, this building became the Anderson County Arts Center in 1972, the same year the library moved to its current building on McDuffie Street.
The Anderson County Arts Center is listed in the National Register as part of the Anderson Downtown Historic District, which describes the area as follows:
The Anderson Downtown Historic District is primarily significant as a well-preserved late nineteenth/early twentieth century commercial area. The district retains a typical town plan with a courthouse square in its center, as well as numerous good examples of Victorian, Romanesque Revival, and Beaux Arts commercial architecture. Anderson, incorporated 1833, is also significant for its role as a commercial, governmental, and cultural center for Anderson County. The Anderson Downtown Historic District is comprised of approximately 97 commercial structures, the County Courthouse, the Anderson City Hall, a Victorian fountain, and two historic monuments. The brick constructed structures date primarily from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and are located in the heart of Anderson’s central business district. The courthouse and surrounding square serve as the focal point of the historic district. Located southeast of this commercial district is the residential Anderson Historic District.
Anderson County Arts Center Info
Address: 405 North Main Street, Anderson, SC 29625
Anderson County Arts Center Map
Anderson County Arts Center Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Anderson County Arts Center, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.