Movies Filmed in South Carolina – The Great Santini
SC Movies Guide > Movies Filmed in SC > The Great Santini
||Spill Your Scoop!
If you have a story about the filming of The Great Santini in South Carolina, let us know.
- Director – Lewis John Carlino
- Cast – Robert Duvall, Blythe Danner, Michael O'Keefe, Lisa Jane Persky
- Genre – Drama
- Plot – A Beaufort boy struggles to enter manhood under the shadow of his overbearing military father. Based on the novel by Pat Conroy.
- The Meechum family home scenes were shot at 1 Laurens Street in Beaufort. The house is known as both Tidalholm and the Edgard Fripp Home, after the rice planter who had it built.
- Many of the military scenes were shot at the Beaufort Marine Corps Air Station.
- The open square known as "The Point" in Beaufort is where Ben finds his father drunk under a tree.
- The Edgard Fripp Home (Tidalholm) used extensively in the film was also used in The Big Chill.
- Stan Smith and his family, who lived in the house at the time, were contracted to stay in the home during the entire 3-month shoot. This wasn't so the Smiths could make sure nothing happened to the home during the shoot. Instead, it was a move to protect the movie company from being liable for damages that might have been around since the 1850s.
- After the shoot, the film company repainted the house and refinished the floors.
Purchase The Great Santini DVD and Book