Movies Filmed in South Carolina – Die Hard with a Vengeance
South Carolina SC Movies Guide Movies Filmed in SC Die Hard with a Vengeance
||Spill Your Scoop!
If you have a story about the filming of Die Hard with a Vengeance in South Carolina, let us know.
Die Hard with a Vengeance: Overview
- Director – John McTiernan
- Cast – Bruce Willis, Jeremy Irons, Samuel L. Jackson
- Genre – Action, Thriller
- Plot – Lieutenant John McClane returns in this sequel to play a death-defying game of "Simon Says" to prevent a mad bomber from blowing up locations throughout New York City.
Die Hard with a Vengeance: SC Locations
- The old Grace Memorial Bridge over the Cooper River was used as the set for the scene where McClane and Zeus jump onto the container ship. In the film, the bridge was supposed to be near Bridgeport, Connecticut, on Long Island Sound. The production crew chose the former Cooper River bridges because there were two of them, meaning that they could film the action that was happening on the Grace from the old Silas N. Pearlman bridge.
- The subway station crash scenes were shot on a stage built at the former General Dynamics plant in the Bushy Park area of North Charleston. The crew built a life-size New York subway station with a quarter-mile of tracks and bought actual subway cars from the New York City Transit Authority.
- The geyser scene took place off I-26 near Summerville.
Die Hard with a Vengeance: Fun Facts
- If you look closely at the scene where the two main characters jump from the bridge to the ship, you will notice that the background is marshy. There are no tall buildings like you would expect if this scene had been shot in New York.
- The two former Cooper River bridges in Charleston were also featured in many other movies, such as Chasers, Rich in Love, Consenting Adults, The Philadelphia Experiment, An Occasional Hell, Deceiver, White Squall, and O.
- Werner "Turky" Burky, owner of Turky's Towing in Charleston, sent us this great info ...
"I worked on the filming of this movie at the General Dynamics facility in Bushy Park, the crash scene on River Road on John's Island, and the geyser scene off I-26 near Summerville. My tow truck was used to tow the dump truck in the scene with Bruce Willis and another actor talking while it appeared Bruce was driving. I even did some stunt driving in the dump truck scene when the water appeared to be rushing in the tunnel toward Bruce Willis in the dump truck. I worked on the movie over 30 days and got to know the actors, the crew, and the catering service, Tom Cats Catering. It was a once in a lifetime experience, and I still have some of the vehicle props used in the filming and a few of the fake bars of gold."
More Resources For Die Hard with a Vengeance
Die Hard with a Vengeance: Purchase The Movie