Movies Filmed in South Carolina – Deliverance
SC Movies Guide > Movies Filmed in SC > Deliverance
||Spill Your Scoop!
If you have a story about the filming of Deliverance in South Carolina, let us know.
- Director – John Boorman
- Cast – Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty, Ronny Cox
- Genre – Adventure, Drama
- Plot – Four friends embark on a canoe trip through the dangerous outdoors to see the Cahulawassee River before it gets turned into a lake. It is based on James Dickey's novel by the same name.
- The Chattooga River that divides South Carolina and Georgia was used as the backdrop for the vast majority of the scenes in the movie.
- Significant portions of the film were shot at Woodall Shoals, which is considered the most danderous rapid on the Chattooga.
- A few scenes were also shot on Lake Jocassee, located close to the Chattooga River in the Northwestern part of our state.
- Before the release of Deliverance, the Chattooga River was hardly known and only a small number paddlers had explored its remote path through thick woods.
- The technical difficulties of bringing in filming equipment through the rugged gorges on a daily basis proved to be the greatest hardship of filming Deliverance. In fact, a raft full of expensive movie equipment was lost when it overturned in a rapid now known as "Deliverance Rapid."
- During the year after the release of Deliverance, 31 people drowned while attempting to paddle the same stretch of the Chattooga as featured in the movie.
Purchase Deliverance DVD and Book