Movies Filmed in South Carolina – Dear John
SC Movies Guide > Movies Filmed in SC > Dear John
||Spill Your Scoop!
If you have a story about the filming of Dear John in South Carolina, let us know.
- Director – Lasse Hallström
- Cast – Channing Tatum, Amanda Seyfried, Richard Jenkins, Henry Thomas, Scott Porter, D.J. Cotrona, Cullen Moss
- Genre – Drama, Romance
- Plot – While home on leave, a soldier falls for a college student on spring break.
- John (Channing Tatum) and Savannah (Amanda Seyfried) first meet on the Isle of Palms fishing pier.
- The College of Charleston's Randolph Hall was where Savannah would read and write many of the letters. Randoph Hall was also used in the filming of The Patriot. Click here to see pictures from the film shoot.
- The global airlift mission scene was filmed at Charleston Air Force Base. The production company was granted permission by the US Defense Department to use an official C-17 helicopter and airmen. Click here to see photos from the filming on this scene (roll over picture for details).
- The Citadel's infirmary was used for the German hospital where John was treated for his wounds.
- Debris, smoke, and livestock turned Lafarge Cement in Harleyville into an Afghan village in the midst of a military engagement.
- Cassina Point Plantation on Edisto Island portrayed Savannah's parent's home.
- Although John and Savannah first meet and fell in love on the Isle of Palms, Folly Beach would be where they argue.
- The second floor lobby of Charleston's Gaillard Center was transformed into an airport security checkpoint.
- Sullivan's Island is where:
– Three inches of sand and fill dirt were dumped on a street turning the area into an African outpost.
– Historic Fort Moultrie would be used to represent a military installation on the Congo coast.
– The beach house Savannah stayed at was also on Sullivan's Island.
- The scene of John and Savannah first date was shot at Bowens Island Restaurant just as dusk was setting in. Also located on James Island is the house that served as John's boyhood home.
- An abandoned elementary school in downtown Charleston was transformed into an Eastern European café.
Fun Quotes and Facts
- "I love South Carolina," says Channing Tatum. "I'm from the South, so I have an addiction with it. The food, the people, the lifestyle. It's just so charming."
- "The South is a whole different thing altogether. It's romantic. It's just so beautiful. It brings something to a film you can't get anywhere else in the world." Amanda Seyfried
- When casting the role of Alan, Tim's (Henry Thomas) young autistic son, the filmmakers turned to Carolina Autism, a non-profit organization based in Charleston. Six-year-old autistic boy Braeden Reed was cast in the part and proved to be a gifted and professional actor.
- Cross Country Trailways, a Spartanburg bus company, transported two buses to the set in Charleston. One of their drivers drove the bus in the scene where John leaves and says goodbye to his father.
Purchase Dear John Book