Movies Filmed in South Carolina – The Big Chill
SC Movies Guide > Movies Filmed in SC > The Big Chill
||Spill Your Scoop!
If you have a story about the filming of The Big Chill in South Carolina, let us know.
- Director – Lawrence Kasdan
- Cast – Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, JoBeth Williams
- Genre – Comedy, Drama
- Plot – Eight old friends searching for something they lost find out that all they needed was each other.
- Tidalholm Mansion was prominently featured in The Big Chill as the house where the old friends come together. It is located at 1 Laurens Street in downtown Beaufort and is a private residence. Tidalholm also appears in The Great Santini, filmed just a few years earlier in 1979.
- The jogging scene where Nick and Harold are discussing the possibility of buying out Harold's business was shot on Bay Street in downtown Beaufort.
- The opening funeral scenes were filmed at Sand Hill Baptist Church, which is located at 15480 Pocotaligo Road just west of Varnville.
- Two Beaufort Police Department motorcycles were used in the funeral scenes, a 1971 Harley Davidson and a 1981 Kawasaki Police 1000.
- The director, Lawrence Kasdan, liked The Great Santini so much, he decided to shoot The Big Chill in the same house.
- Tom Berenger married his former wife Lisa Williams, who is from Beaufort, on the lawn of Tidalholm.
- Berenger also bought a house and moved to Beaufort after the production of The Big Chill.
- The cast and crew members frequently ate at the Steamer Restaurant, on Ladys Island. The restaurant was also a favorite of Nick Nolte, during the production of Prince of Tides.
- Alan Beaulieu shares, "On New Year's Eve 1972, dinner for the cast of The Big Chill was at Whitehall Plantation Restaurant on Lady's Island. We were dinning there at the same time the whole cast came in.
Purchase The Big Chill