Movies Filmed in South Carolina – The Big Chill
SC Movies Guide > Movies Filmed in SC > The Big Chill
||Spill Your Scoop!
If you have a story about the filming of The Big Chill in South Carolina, let us know.
- Director – Lawrence Kasdan
- Cast – Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, JoBeth Williams
- Genre – Comedy, Drama
- Plot – Eight old friends searching for something they lost find out that all they needed was each other.
- Tidalholm Mansion was prominently featured in The Big Chill as the house where the old friends come together. It is located at 1 Laurens Street in downtown Beaufort and is a private residence. Tidalholm also appears in The Great Santini, filmed just a few years earlier in 1979.
- The jogging scene where Nick and Harold are discussing the possibility of buying out Harold's business was shot on Bay Street in downtown Beaufort.
- The opening funeral scenes were filmed at Sand Hill Baptist Church, which is located at 15480 Pocotaligo Road just west of Varnville.
- Two Beaufort Police Department motorcycles were used in the funeral scenes, a 1971 Harley Davidson and a 1981 Kawasaki Police 1000.
- The director, Lawrence Kasdan, liked The Great Santini so much, he decided to shoot The Big Chill in the same house.
- Tom Berenger married his former wife Lisa Williams, who is from Beaufort, on the lawn of Tidalholm.
- Berenger also bought a house and moved to Beaufort after the production of The Big Chill.
- The cast and crew members frequently ate at the Steamer Restaurant, on Ladys Island. The restaurant was also a favorite of Nick Nolte, during the production of Prince of Tides.
Purchase The Big Chill