South Carolina – Indians, Native Americans – Congaree
South Carolina SC Native Americans SC Indian Tribes SC Congaree Indians
SC Location, Territory
Related SC Names
- Epidemics severely reduced the Congaree population during the 1600s.
- During 1715, the Congaree fought against the colonists in the Yemassee War.
- In 1716, the colonists captured and enslaved over half the population.
- Farming – Corn, beans, and squash
- Fishing – Variety of freshwater fish
- Hunting – Deer, and other game
Beliefs and Practices
Related Congaree Indian Resources
- Congaree Facts - published 1920 - click link, then scroll down
- Merrell, James H. The Indians' New World: Catawbas and Their Neighbors from European Contact through the Era of Removal. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1989.
- Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Instition Press, 1984, pp. 90-92.