SC Governors – Henry Middleton, 1810-1812
South Carolina SC History SC Governors Governor Henry Middleton
Henry Middleton: Biographical Facts
- Born: September 28, 1770 in London, England
- Family home: Middleton Place
- Died: June 14, 1846 in Charleston
- Religion: Episcopalian
- Political Party: Democratic-Republican
Henry Middleton: Education
- Tutored in the classics at his family's plantation, Middleton Place; also studied for a year in England (returned to Charleston in 1787)
Henry Middleton: Major Events and Accomplishments, 1810–1812
- 1811 – General Assembly instituted free schooling for poor children
Henry Middleton: Other Government Positions
- South Carolina House of Representatives, 1802-1810
- South Carolina Senate, 1810
- US House of Representatives, 1815-1819
- US Minister to Russia, 1820-1830
Henry Middleton: Other Accomplishments, Honors, Distinctions
- Middleton's grandfather, also named Henry Middleton, was the second president of the Continental Congress from October 22, 1774 through October 26, 1774.
- Middleton's father, Arthur Middleton, was a member of the Continental Congress and signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776.
Henry Middleton: Election Results
- On December 8, 1810, the South Carolina General Assembly elected Middleton for governor by secret ballot.
Henry Middleton: Web Resources