South Carolina Lexington County West Columbia
West Columbia is located on the eastern border of Lexington County
, just across the Congaree River from South Carolina's capital city of Columbia
In 1894 when West Columbia was originally chartered as a town, it was called Brookland. It was a popular residential area for employees of Columbia Mills, a textile plant located across the river on the east bank of the Congaree.
Ferries provided transportation back and forth to work, but as the number of mill workers increased, a wooden bridge was constructed to provide easier access to the mill and to services in Columbia. In 1927 the wooden bridge was replaced by today's familiar Gervais Street bridge
. The name of the town changed to West Columbia in 1936.
Here are maps of the Lexington area
and of the Columbia area
West Columbia Hotels
- a helpful guide - online reservations
General Information, Jobs
Recreation, Entertainment, Tourism
Real Estate, Relocation
Schools, Colleges, Libraries
Hospitals, Churches, Helping Organizations