Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
South Carolina Charleston County Sullivan's Island
Sullivan's Island is located just across the Intracoastal Waterway from Mount Pleasant in Charleston County.
In 1776, it was here, in a makeshift log fort at the tip of the island, that colonial forces under Colonel William Moultrie prevailed against British troops who were trying to enter Charleston's harbor. The palmetto logs used in the construction of the fort proved to be key to the victory. The tree trunks were extraordinarily spongy, deflecting (and often seamlessly absorbing!) a steady barrage of British cannon balls. Later, the fort was named for Colonel Moultrie and the palmetto tree became the centerpiece of South Carolina's state flag.
Today, Sullivan's Island is mainly residential with a remarkable absence of commercial development. Charleston is the largest city near Sullivan's Island. Here is a map of the Charleston area.
Sullivan's Island Hotels - a helpful guide - online reservations
General Information, Jobs
Recreation, Entertainment, Tourism
Real Estate, Relocation
Media, Information Services
Schools, Colleges, Libraries, Museums
Hospitals, Churches, Helping Organizations
South Carolina's Site of the Day
SCIWAY . . . "sky-way" . . . South Carolina's Information HighWAY
© 2013 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.