Elgin, South Carolina
South Carolina Kershaw County Elgin
Elgin is the third name for this community located in Kershaw County 12 miles east of Camden and close to the Richland County line. As early as 1832, Mr. Jeffers operated the post office out of his home, so the town was known as Jeffers. In the 1840s, the Seaboard Railroad came through the community and soon the town's name changed to Blaney to honor an executive of the railroad company. Finally, the town became Elgin in the 1960s when the Elgin Watch Company opened a plant and for a time, employed over 240 people in the area.
Camden is the largest city near Elgin. Here is a map of the Camden area.
General Information, Jobs
Recreation, Entertainment, Tourism
Schools, Colleges, Libraries
Hospitals, Churches, Helping Organizations
South Carolina's Site of the Day
SCIWAY . . . "sky-way" . . . South Carolina's Information HighWAY
© 2015 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.