Conway, South Carolina
South Carolina Horry County Conway
Strategically located on the Waccamaw River, Conway was one of the earliest settled towns in South Carolina. When the town was created in 1734, it was named Kingston.
During the Revolutionary War, Francis Marion's troops operated out of hidden camps in the surrounding woods. Using the river and traveling paths through thick forests, they were able to confound the British by seeming to appear from and vanish back into the swamp as if by magic.
The name Kingston, honoring England's King George II, no longer seemed a good fit after the war, so the town was renamed Conwayborough for the American General Robert Conway. Since it was centrally located, Conwayborough was selected as the county seat for Horry County in 1801. The name was shortened to Conway in 1883.
Its location on the river is still important to Conway today. Visitors enjoy strolling the Conway Riverwalk along the Waccamaw River which continues to connect the city to its historic past.
Myrtle Beach is the largest city near Conway. Here is a map of the Myrtle Beach area.
Conway Hotels - a helpful guide - make reservations online
General Information, Jobs
Recreation, Entertainment, Tourism
Real Estate, Relocation
Media, Information Services
Schools, Colleges, Libraries, Museums
Hospitals, Churches, Helping Organizations
South Carolina's Site of the Day
SCIWAY . . . "sky-way" . . . South Carolina's Information HighWAY
© 2013 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.